The Government has provided a postcode checker to find restaurants registered under its Eat Out To Help Out scheme. Unfortunately, in its current incarnation, the tool is rather limited for three reasons:
- You can only search for restaurants within a 2-mile radius. In rural Herefordshire, that’s not very helpful – it can easily be over two miles to the nearest town. In my case, Kington and Presteigne (just over the border) are both over two miles away. UPDATE 28th July 2020: The radius of the search has now been increased to 5 miles.
- You need to know the postcode. If you’re on holiday in Herefordshire, you might not know this – and you might also be inclined to travel a little further on a day out.
- No contact details for the restaurants is currently listed. You have to hunt it down yourself.
I’ve therefore put together a list of the restaurants in the Kington area that currently appear, along with links to their website if they have one, allowing you to quickly see what’s available in our corner of north-west Herefordshire.
Kington area restaurants
In the centre of Kington itself:
- La Gala (Kington)
- The Royal Oak (Kington)
- The Burton Hotel (Kington)
To the west of Kington:
- Dunfield House (less than 5 minutes’ drive out along the A44 from Kington)
To the north of Kington:
- Agi’s Catering at Kington Golf Club (Bradnor, on the hill above Kington, 5 minutes’ drive or a stiff walk up the hill)
- The Stagg Inn (Titley, about 10 minutes’ drive from Kington)
To the east of Kington:
- The New Inn (Pembridge, about 10 minutes’ drive from Kington)
- The Kings House (Pembridge, which is still about 10 minutes’ drive from Kington)
I’ll be adding to this list periodically, as (one hopes) more restaurants sign up – though if the official Government search facility is beefed up to provide a map view, this may not be necessary. Comments welcome, especially if I’ve missed a restaurant or entered incorrect information.
All subject to change, no responsibility taken for accuracy, etc. Hope it helps someone out there.